Motorcycle chains are usually very durable and long-lasting, but they can stretch over time and slowly become ineffective. At that point, you must replace your motorcycle chain to prevent it from falling off and causing a potential safety hazard, among other problems. Replacing the chain on your Shadow Spirit 750 requires only a few simple tools, and the job should take only about 15 to 20 minutes of your time
1) Lift your Shadow Spirit 750 up on a center stand. Make sure it is as solid as possible, as you may do some jerking on the rear tire assembly. Be sure that the rear tire is off the ground and can spin freely.
2) Shift the motorcycle into neutral.
3) Spin the rear tire to spin the chain. Locate the master link in the chain. This link has a small metal clip on it, and will look different from any other link.
4) Use a flat-head screwdriver to remove the clip on the master link. Spread the link apart with the screwdriver and disconnect it from the rest of the chain.
5) Thread the old chain off both sprockets and away from the motorcycle.
6) Thread the new chain onto both sprockets and the chain running assembly.
7) Clamp the master link together, securing the new chain on the motorcycle. Gently place the link clamp over the master link.
*Spending a few extra dollars on a high-performance chain may actually save you money in the end.
*Always stay aware of pinch points when working around motorcycle parts.
Find maintenance parts with our sponsor partspitstop.com