Honda all-terrain vehicles have a backlight that functions as a brake light, illuminating when you apply the brakes in the same fashion as an automobile. If the backlight stops working in your Honda ATV you can replace it yourself. ATVs manufactured prior to 2007 use a standard 12-volt bulb, while ATVs from 2007 onward use an LED light assembly. When replacing the backlight in pre-2007 Honda ATVs, you must simply exchange the old bulb with a working bulb. You must replace the entire LED rear light assembly in new ATVs.
Things You’ll Need:
- Phillips screwdriver
- 12-volt, 30/30 W x 2 bulb or LED rear light assembly
Prior to 2007
1. Park the Honda ATV and shut off the engine.
2. Remove the screw securing the rear light cover cap located on the back side of the tail light assembly using a Phillips screwdriver.
3. Pull the rear light cover cap directly off to remove it. The bulb socket is beneath the cover.
4. Turn the socket counterclockwise and pull it directly out of the slot to remove the socket from the assembly.
5. Press the bulb toward the socket and turn it counterclockwise to remove the bulb from the socket.
6. Install a new 12-volt 30/30 W x 2 bulb into the socket. Press the bulb toward the socket and turn clockwise to secure.
7. Reinstall the bulb socket into the tail light assembly, lining up the pins on the inner ring of the socket with the slots in the tail light assembly. Turn it clockwise to secure the bulb socket in the assembly.
8. Replace the rear light cover cap and secure it using the Phillips screw you removed earlier.
2007 to Current
11. Open the storage box lid on the rear of the Honda ATV.
12. Push the rear light assembly outward from within the storage box lid until you can access the black connector (3P connector) behind the light assembly. You must push firmly as the light assembly has rubber pins that must be disengaged from the rubber grommets on the inner ring of the light assembly slot.
13. Insert the new light assembly into the slot in the storage box lid, lining up the pins at the top of the unitwith the grommets on the inner edge of the slot. Press in until secure and close the storage box lid
14. Connect the 3P connector on the new LED light assembly to the connector within the storage box lid.
15. Insert the new light assembly into the slot in the storage box lid, lining up the pins at the top of the unitwith the grommets on the inner edge of the slot. Press in until secure and close the storage box lid.
For more parts and maintenance tips check out our sponsor: www.partspitstop.com